Shortly after I moved to Maui last summer someone handed me a sheet of paper that delineated the “Symptoms of Inner Peace” (the author is unknown to me). These nine statements encourage one to live a life of great vibrancy and aliveness. I wish to share this inspiration with you:
- A tendency to think and act spontaneously and not from fears based on past experiences.
- An unmistakable ability to enjoy each moment.
- An increasing tendency to let things happen and not to make them happen.
- A loss of interest in judging other people.
- Frequent attacks of smiling.
- A loss of the ability to worry. (This is a very serious symptom.)
- Frequent overwhelming episodes of appreciation.
- Contented feelings of connectedness with others and nature.
- An increased susceptibility to the love extended by others as well as the uncontrollable urge to extend it.
Vibrant living is living your life in a way that makes you smile with the sheer joy of being alive. You remember that your purpose here is Divine and that you make a difference in the world by your mere presence.
It takes courage to live a life of radiant aliveness. It can be much easier to shut down the emotions or dull any physical pain with substances or activities than to live a life of trust and inner connectedness. Allow the force of life to flow through you in its perfection.
Open yourself to the depths of who you are which goes beyond all concepts of the mind. You will find yourself more at peace, more able to cope with life, more alive and more directed in your life.
These “Symptoms of Inner Peace” help to guide me to live a life of greater awareness and courage. May they help you in your awakening to who you really are which is life itself.